Subject: [WIP v2 0/2] experiment with commit option record-time-zone

From: Shengfa Lin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 05:28:49 +0000

My current understanding is that we should start with providing command
options first and if they prove to be useful, we can progress with
config such as user.recordTimeZone. Also, we wanted to save the
timestamp as -0000 when user specify not to record time zone so to
distinguish with +0000(user from UTC time zone).

Experimenting to support command option --[no-]record-time-zone, currently only
added for commit command; the plan is to add it to other time zone
recording command such as rebase, pull and merge. Documentation change
is also missing.

I added three tests where the first two are failing. I am not sure why
they are failing. I am guessing the datestamp method is not called when
specifying the date or GIT_AUTHOR_DATE. Also, I am not sure the correct
handling of all the show_date calls yet. Anyway, I wanted to share WIP
before delaying longer.

Shengfa Lin (2):
  Adding a record-time-zone command option for commit
  Demonstrate failing and passing tests

 builtin/am.c            |  2 +-
 builtin/blame.c         |  4 +-
 builtin/commit.c        |  3 +-
 builtin/fast-import.c   |  2 +-
 builtin/show-branch.c   |  2 +-
 builtin/tag.c           |  2 +-
 cache.h                 | 10 +++--
 date.c                  | 96 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 http-backend.c          |  2 +-
 pretty.c                |  6 ++-
 ref-filter.c            |  2 +-
 reflog-walk.c           |  2 +-
 refs.c                  |  6 ++-
 sha1-name.c             |  2 +-
 t/helper/test-date.c    |  8 ++--
 t/t7514-commit-patch.sh | 28 ++++++++++++
 16 files changed, 126 insertions(+), 51 deletions(-)

-- 
2.28.0.1011.ga647a8990f-goog