Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 3/3] test-lib: reduce verbosity of skipped tests

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 12:53:29 -0400

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 07:19:46PM +0000, Elijah Newren via GitGitGadget wrote:

> From: Elijah Newren <[email-masked]>
> 
> When using the --run flag to run just two or three tests from a test
> file which contains several dozen tests, having every skipped test print
> out dozens of lines of output for the test code for that skipped test
> adds up to hundreds or thousands of lines of irrelevant output that make
> it very hard to fish out the relevant results you were looking for.
> Simplify the output for skipped tests down to just showing the one-line
> descriptions.

This last sentence is inaccurate in this version, isn't it?

Other than that, I think this is a good change (I admit I never noticed
the irrelevant output because it is only shown with "-v", and that is
already full of irrelevant bits. But I have trouble imagining how it
would be useful).

Earlier discussion mentioned shortening the "ok 2 # skip" line, but I
think removing this fd-3 version is the only sane direction. The other
one gets parsed by TAP tools like prove, and may be shown. E.g., "prove
--directive t0003-attributes.sh" shows the description of the skipped
tests (likewise, "-v" shows all tests but highlights the skipped ones).

-Peff