Subject: Re: [Outreachy] Introduction

From: Jonathan Nieder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 16:08:01 -0700

Hi Joey,

Joey S wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm Joey Salazar, an Outreachy 2020 applicant certified in CCNA and
> Linux+, with some experience in C for both private and open source
> repositories (BIND at gitlab.isc.org/Joey), community code reviews,
> and automated tests in bash. I'd like to contribute to the "Add Git
> protocol support to Wireshark" project and improve my skills, yet
> remain open to a different project if that'd be preferable.

Welcome!

> I have installed and built git, followed
> git.github.io/General-Microproject-Information and checked the
> sample email thread [1], as well as the tutorial
> git-scm.com/docs/MyFirstContribution and created the psuh command
> files here [2].
>
> After following the git.github.io/Outreachy-21-Microprojects page
> I'd like to work on the 'Use test_path_is_* functions in test
> scripts', and given that Charvi Mendiratta might be working on tests
> t7101,t7102 and t7201 as per this ml thread [3], I'd like to check
> with the group if working on tests t7006 and t7300 would be ok.

I'd recommend just doing a single file.  t7006 is a good one.

> In parallel, I'm following
> gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development as suggested
> through the #git-devel IRC channel

Yes, building wireshark and making your first modification to it would
be a good next step.

One possible first modification would be to teach
epan/dissectors/packet-git.c about sideband.  See "Packfile Data" in
git's Documentation/technical/pack-protocol.txt for how sideband
works.

Alternatively you can run wireshark and see if anything you see
bothers you and make a first contribution that improves on that. :)

Happy developing.

Thanks,
Jonathan

> [1] public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/T/#u
> [2] github.com/j-sal/git/tree/psuh
> [3] public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]
> [4] git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Internals-Transfer-Protocols
[5] https://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/202010/msg00042.html