Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 0/4] clarify meaning of --signoff & related doc improvements in describing Signed-off-by

From: "Bradley M. Kuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 16:02:15 -0700

> "Bradley M. Kuhn" <[email-masked]> writes:
> > I wasn't sure what I should be doing with the patch set once it was already
> > in 'seen'.

Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Being 'seen' is an indication that it has been seen and does not mean
> anything more than that.

Documentation/SubmittingPatches says:
> >>> `git pull --rebase` will automatically skip already-applied patches, and
> >>> will let you know. This works only if you rebase on top of the branch in
> >>> which your patch has been merged (i.e. it will not tell you if your patch
> >>> is merged in `seen` if you rebase on top of master).

> This is talking about a fairly mature topic that has already been in 'next'
> and was on the course to graduate to 'master'.  The topic would eventually
> be in 'master', and at that point "pull --rebase" would notice that the
> patches are no longer needed (or were merged in a different form).  But
> that does not apply to topics that are not in 'master' yet.

Junio, thanks for your detailed reply.  I have a couple ideas of some
minor changes to SubmittingPatches that would have made what you said clearer
to me when I was doing my first patch.  I'll think about it some and send
something along, but probably won't get to it until next month (but it
doesn't seem urgent).

Taylor wrote: 

>>> Since 'seen' is a convenience branch that contains the current state
>>>  of the in-flight topics, it is subject to be changed and rebuilt
>>>  multiple times (c.f., link:howto/maintain-git) so the presence of your
>>>  patches in 'seen' (but not 'next' or 'master') should not affect your
>>>  workflow.

I'll hold on to this text as a possibility, to start from when I dig
into the proposals above.  Thanks!
--
Bradley M. Kuhn - he/him
Policy Fellow & Hacker-in-Residence at Software Freedom Conservancy
========================================================================
Become a Conservancy Supporter today: https://sfconservancy.org/supporter