Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/2] rev-parse options for absolute or relative paths

From: Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 15:01:57 -0800

Hiya, we took a look in the review club, but I'll try to keep it simple.

On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 07:15:09PM +0000, brian m. carlson wrote:
> 
> There are a bunch of different situations in which one would like to
> have an absolute and canonical or a relative path from Git.

I think specifically you are interested in this situation:
https://github.com/git-lfs/git-lfs/issues/4012

I think this would have been useful to see in the cover letter :) There
was a lot of "but why" during the review club meeting.

Looking at the git-lfs issue in question, the problem seems to be "how
to make sure the path Git gives me will match the path Go gives me" -
and like you mentioned in the issue, there are two ways to fix it.

Also, there was some brief wondering: if this option is useful in 'git
rev-parse', would it be useful in other commands too? I thought maybe it
would be more useful as an arg to 'git' itself, but on inspection, not
really - because you wouldn't be able to switch the format in the middle
of a bunch of args, like you can now. The way it's written here,
though, should mean a smooth transition to something like OPT__VERBOSE
or OPT__QUIET if we discover lots of folks would find use.

Thanks for sending it. I'll try and do a detailed review of the patches
themselves. To me, the concept seems sound.

 - Emily