Subject: git-log: documenting pathspec usage

From: Adam Spiers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2020 12:22:30 +0000

Hi all,

I just noticed that git-log.txt has: 

     SYNOPSIS
     --------
     [verse]
     'git log' [<options>] [<revision range>] [[--] <path>...]

and builtin/log.c has: 

     static const char * const builtin_log_usage[] = {
             N_("git log [<options>] [<revision-range>] [[--] <path>...]"),

IIUC, the references to <path> should actually be <pathspec> instead,
as seen with other pathspec-supporting commands such as git add/rm
whose man pages are extra helpful in explicitly calling out how
pathspecs can be used, e.g.:

     OPTIONS
     -------
     <pathspec>...::
             Files to add content from.  Fileglobs (e.g. `*.c`) can
             be given to add all matching files.  Also a
             leading directory name (e.g. `dir` to add `dir/file1`
             and `dir/file2`) can be given to update the index to
             match the current state of the directory as a whole (e.g.
             specifying `dir` will record not just a file `dir/file1`
             modified in the working tree, a file `dir/file2` added to
             the working tree, but also a file `dir/file3` removed from
             the working tree). Note that older versions of Git used
             to ignore removed files; use `--no-all` option if you want
             to add modified or new files but ignore removed ones.
     +
     For more details about the <pathspec> syntax, see the 'pathspec' entry
     in linkgit:gitglossary[7].

Would it be fair to say the git-log usage syntax and man page should
be updated to match?  If so perhaps I can volunteer for that.

Regards,
Adam