Subject: [PATCH v7 0/5] making pull advice not to trigger when unneeded

From: Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 12:26:42 -0800

Just to show what was pushed out on 'seen' while I was cutting the
preview release...

This is based on Felipe's v6 (which was mislabled as v5 but sent on
a different day from the true v5), with two clean-up commits
inserted between Felipe's second step (now 2/5) and the third step
(now 5/5, with necessary adjustments).

Even with the "correct condition" clean-up, I am not quite happy
with the clarity of the logic around there.

I think !opt_ff does not exactly belong to the condition, if we
consider that the eventual endgame should be to stop non-ff
operation without merge or rebase by default with an error, and that
should happen in this block.  The error message there should say
"unable to fast-forward; must merge or rebase", which should equally
apply to those who gave "--ff-only" explicitly, even though they may
not need the advice message.

So with the help of can_ff bit introduced by 5/5, I _think_ this
part should become like

-	if (rebase_unspecified && !opt_ff && !can_ff) {
+	if (rebase_unspecified && !can_ff &&
+	    (!opt_ff || !strcmp("--ff-only", opt_ff))) {

before/when we make this codepath error out.  We won't hit the body
of this if statement when we can fast-forward.

To avoid the ugly-looking "strcmp()" in the above, we may need to
adjust "--ff" (fast-forward without creating an extra merge commit)
and "--no-ff" (create an extra merge commit when the history could
be fast-forwarded) to imply "merge", though.  It would automatically
make rebase_unspecified would become false.  With such a tweak, we
can then simplify it further to

-	if (rebase_unspecified && !can_ff &&
-	    (!opt_ff || !strcmp("--ff-only", opt_ff))) {
+	if (rebase_unspecified && !can_ff) {

But these are not part of this round.

Felipe Contreras (3):
  pull: refactor fast-forward check
  pull: give the advice for choosing rebase/merge much later
  pull: display default warning only when non-ff

Junio C Hamano (2):
  pull: get rid of unnecessary global variable
  pull: correct condition to trigger non-ff advice

 builtin/pull.c               | 70 ++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
 t/t7601-merge-pull-config.sh | 66 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---
 2 files changed, 104 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)

-- 
2.30.0-rc0-186-g20447144ec