Subject: [PATCH 00/22] mailmap: doc + test fixes

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 21:17:44 +0100

Just a "small" addition to v1, now with 21 extra patches. While this
is a large series, it should be relatively easy to read and
non-contentious. Mainly

 * We now have a "man 5 gitmailmap", rather than including the format
   description in N places.

 * Lots of extra tests & improvements to modernize existing tests to
   make them more reliable and easier to read.

 * Rewrote the example section in the documentation to be more
   understandable, and you can now follow it along with tests that
   mirror it.

 * Document that mailmap name/email matching is case-insensitive.

 * Document & test for the comment syntax.

 * Add an "--author" and "--append" argument to test_commit, which is
   used by the mailmap tests, but also a few other tests (just as an
   example). This is why the series modifies a few non-mailmap tests.

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason (22):
  mailmap doc: create a new "gitmailmap(5)" man page
  mailmap doc: quote config variables `like.this`
  check-mailmap doc: note config options
  mailmap doc: start by mentioning the comment syntax
  mailmap tests: use our preferred whitespace syntax
  mailmap tests: modernize syntax & test idioms
  mailmap tests: improve --stdin tests
  mailmap tests: remove redundant entry in test
  mailmap tests: add a test for "not a blob" error
  mailmap tests: get rid of overly complex blame fuzzing
  mailmap: test for silent exiting on missing file/blob
  test-lib functions: expand "test_commit" comment template
  test-lib functions: document arguments to test_commit
  test-lib functions: add --author support to test_commit
  test-lib functions: add an --append option to test_commit
  tests: refactor a few tests to use "test_commit --append"
  mailmap doc + tests: add better examples & test them
  mailmap tests: add a test for comment syntax
  mailmap tests: add tests for whitespace syntax
  mailmap tests: add tests for empty "<>" syntax
  mailmap doc + tests: document and test for case-insensitivity
  shortlog: remove unused(?) "repo-abbrev" feature

 Documentation/Makefile              |   1 +
 Documentation/git-blame.txt         |   2 +-
 Documentation/git-check-mailmap.txt |   9 +-
 Documentation/git-shortlog.txt      |   6 +-
 Documentation/gitmailmap.txt        | 123 +++++
 Documentation/mailmap.txt           |  75 ---
 builtin/blame.c                     |   2 +-
 builtin/check-mailmap.c             |   2 +-
 builtin/commit.c                    |   2 +-
 builtin/log.c                       |   2 +-
 builtin/shortlog.c                  |  16 +-
 command-list.txt                    |   1 +
 mailmap.c                           |  48 +-
 mailmap.h                           |   2 +-
 pretty.c                            |   2 +-
 shortlog.h                          |   1 -
 t/t1412-reflog-loop.sh              |   7 +-
 t/t2012-checkout-last.sh            |  12 +-
 t/t4203-mailmap.sh                  | 825 +++++++++++++++++++---------
 t/t7509-commit-authorship.sh        |   7 +-
 t/t7810-grep.sh                     |  18 +-
 t/test-lib-functions.sh             |  37 +-
 22 files changed, 771 insertions(+), 429 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 Documentation/gitmailmap.txt
 delete mode 100644 Documentation/mailmap.txt

-- 
2.29.2.222.g5d2a92d10f8