Subject: Re: automerge implementation ideas for Windows

From: Seth House <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 18:09:02 -0700

On Thu, Jan 21, 2021 at 02:50:12PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> I'd rather not to see us do "text processing" in shell

Agreed. What are your thoughts on the #2 approach?

I noticed the comment in `git/xdiff-interface.h` about xdiff's gigabyte
limit so I created a 973 MB text file with a conflict and ran #2 through
a few mergetools to see how it went. I put /usr/bin/time in front of the
two `git merge-file` invocations. I know one person's machine is not
a benchmark but perhaps it's a discussion point?

Each `git merge-file` call took ~11 seconds on my middle-tier laptop and
did not use enough RAM to hit swap.

Writing the near-gigabyte LOCAL, BASE, REMOTE, & BACKUP files went
pretty quick. The mergetools themselves had mixed results:

- vimdiff took several minutes (and a lot of swap) to open all four
  files but did eventually work.
- tkdiff crashed.
- Meld spun for ~10 minutes and never opened.

My takeaway: when trying to use a mergetool on a very large file, the
two `git merge-file` invocations are not likely to be where the
performance concern is. #2 is my preferred approach so far.