Subject: [PATCH] test-lib: prevent '--stress-jobs=X' from being ignored

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 23:05:33 +0100

'./t1234-foo.sh --stress-jobs=X ...' is supposed to run that test
script in X parallel jobs, but the number of jobs specified on the
command line is entirely ignored if other '--stress'-related options
follow.  I.e. both './t1234-foo.sh --stress-jobs=X --stress-limit=Y'
and './t1234-foo.sh --stress-jobs=X --stress' fall back to using twice
the number of CPUs parallel jobs instead.

The former has been broken since commit de69e6f6c9 (tests: let
--stress-limit=<N> imply --stress, 2019-03-03) [1], which started to
unconditionally overwrite the $stress variable holding the specified
number of jobs in its effort to imply '--stress'.  The latter has been
broken since f545737144 (tests: introduce --stress-jobs=<N>,
2019-03-03), because it didn't consider that handling '--stress' will
overwrite that variable as well.

We could fix this by being more careful about (over)writing that
$stress variable and checking first whether it has already been set.
But I think it's cleaner to use a dedicated variable to hold the
number of specified parallel jobs, so let's do that instead.

[1] In de69e6f6c9 there was no '--stress-jobs=X' option yet, the
    number of parallel jobs had to be specified via '--stress=X', so,
    strictly speaking, de69e6f6c9 broke './t1234-foo.sh --stress=X
    --stress-limit=Y'.

Signed-off-by: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
---
 t/test-lib.sh | 8 ++++----
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 4 deletions(-)

diff --git a/t/test-lib.sh b/t/test-lib.sh
index 9fa7c1d0f6..a1634ba69d 100644
--- a/t/test-lib.sh
+++ b/t/test-lib.sh
@@ -163,8 +163,8 @@ parse_option () {
 		;;
 	--stress-jobs=*)
 		stress=t;
-		stress=${opt#--*=}
-		case "$stress" in
+		stress_jobs=${opt#--*=}
+		case "$stress_jobs" in
 		*[!0-9]*|0*|"")
 			echo "error: --stress-jobs=<N> requires the number of jobs to run" >&2
 			exit 1
@@ -262,9 +262,9 @@ then
 	: # Don't stress test again.
 elif test -n "$stress"
 then
-	if test "$stress" != t
+	if test -n "$stress_jobs"
 	then
-		job_count=$stress
+		job_count=$stress_jobs
 	elif test -n "$GIT_TEST_STRESS_LOAD"
 	then
 		job_count="$GIT_TEST_STRESS_LOAD"
-- 
2.30.0.615.g3128ec9b6c