Subject: [PATCH v2 03/11] rebase -i: clarify and fix 'fixup -c' rebase-todo help

From: Charvi Mendiratta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 00:55:21 +0530

When `-c` says "edit the commit message" it's not clear what will be
edited. The original's commit message or the replacement's message or a
combination of the two. Word it such that it states more precisely what
exactly will be edited. While at it, also drop the jarring period and
capitalization, neither of which is otherwise present in the message.

Mentored-by: Christian Couder <[email-masked]>
Mentored-by: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Helped-by: Eric Sunshine <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Charvi Mendiratta <[email-masked]>
---
 rebase-interactive.c | 6 +++---
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/rebase-interactive.c b/rebase-interactive.c
index c3bd02adee..e85994beb6 100644
--- a/rebase-interactive.c
+++ b/rebase-interactive.c
@@ -45,8 +45,8 @@ void append_todo_help(int command_count,
 "e, edit <commit> = use commit, but stop for amending\n"
 "s, squash <commit> = use commit, but meld into previous commit\n"
 "f, fixup [-C | -c] <commit> = like \"squash\", but discard this\n"
-"                   commit's log message. Use -C to replace with this\n"
-"                   commit message or -c to edit the commit message\n"
+"                   commit's log message; use -C to replace with this\n"
+"                   commit message or -c to edit this commit message\n"
 "x, exec <command> = run command (the rest of the line) using shell\n"
 "b, break = stop here (continue rebase later with 'git rebase --continue')\n"
 "d, drop <commit> = remove commit\n"
@@ -55,7 +55,7 @@ void append_todo_help(int command_count,
 "m, merge [-C <commit> | -c <commit>] <label> [# <oneline>]\n"
 ".       create a merge commit using the original merge commit's\n"
 ".       message (or the oneline, if no original merge commit was\n"
-".       specified). Use -c <commit> to reword the commit message.\n"
+".       specified); use -c <commit> to reword the commit message\n"
 "\n"
 "These lines can be re-ordered; they are executed from top to bottom.\n");
 	unsigned edit_todo = !(shortrevisions && shortonto);
-- 
2.29.0.rc1