Subject: [PATCH 00/10] describe tests: refactor & fix recent broken tests

From: Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2021 20:54:04 +0100

While looking at the "git describe" tests due to the on-list
%(describe) discussion I discovered that the feature added in
30b1c7ad9d (describe: don't abort too early when searching tags,
2020-02-26) has never been tested for.

This is because it defined a custom test function that called
test_expect_success, which then got called inside another top-level
test_expect_success. Thus even if it failed we'd pass the test.

This series fixes that issue, and makes some general improvements to
the "describe" tests. I then make test_expect_{success,failure} return
1 to catch these sorts of issues in the future, which required fixes
to a couple of svn tests that ran with "set -e".

I was on the fence about whether to send this after the recent rc0,
but figured that since it's test-only Junio might want to pick it up,
and possibly for the next rc in case we'd like to do some pre-release
testing for this never-before-tested feature added in 2.26.0 (although
the actual implementation looks fine to me).

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason (10):
  describe tests: improve test for --work-tree & --dirty
  describe tests: refactor away from glob matching
  describe tests: always assert empty stderr from "describe"
  test-lib functions: add an --annotated-tag option to "test_commit"
  describe tests: convert setup to use test_commit
  describe tests: fix nested "test_expect_success" call
  describe tests: support -C in "check_describe"
  svn tests: remove legacy re-setup from init-clone test
  svn tests: refactor away a "set -e" in test body
  test-lib: return 1 from test_expect_{success,failure}

 t/t1403-show-ref.sh           |   6 +-
 t/t6120-describe.sh           | 193 +++++++++++++++-------------------
 t/t9117-git-svn-init-clone.sh |   6 --
 t/t9148-git-svn-propset.sh    |  27 ++---
 t/test-lib-functions.sh       |  20 +++-
 5 files changed, 122 insertions(+), 130 deletions(-)

-- 
2.31.0.rc0.116.g45ec00aa00