Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/6 + 1] test-lib: make --verbose output valid TAP

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 18:52:49 +0100

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 05:02:12PM +0100, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> The eventual goal not included in this series is to have multiple
> output targets, and e.g. convert ci/print-test-failures.sh to use a
> TAP parser.
> 
> Machine-readable "TAP --verbose -x" output can bring us a lot of nice
> things down the line, I have some local WIP code that's a smarter
> version of ci/print-test-failures.sh that knows how to spew out only
> the output relevant to the failing test(s).

I wonder what you mean by the word "relevant" here, as I can't imagine
how you could possibly identify what is relevant for a failing test
and what isn't.  If you didn't at all meant "relevant", but that it
will show only the output of the failing test(s), then this is a bad
example.  Our test cases depend too much on previous test cases, and a
failure of one test can be the result of a change in a previous
successful tests.

Therefore, any such change to 'ci/print-test-failures.sh' will have my
firm NACK.