Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/3] SubmittingPatches: remove pine-specific hints from MUA hints

From: Dave Huseby <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2021 16:51:36 -0700

On 12.05.2021 10:45, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>There hasn't been a release of Pine since late 2005, in Alpine the
>no-strip-whitespace-before-send switch is already the default.
>
>This documentation was initially added in 9740d289ee7 (Update
>SubmittingPatches to add MUA specific notes., 2005-08-26), at this
>point it's safe to say that it's not useful to anyone anymore, let's
>remove it.

What is wrong with keeping it in there? My latest version of the
etiquette patch moves my Mutt MUA config notes to this section on MUAs.
It could eventually become a somewhat exhaustive reference of MUA
tweaks. Old tools may not be popular but they sometime have niche uses
and/or userbases. My recent switch to Mutt has been mixed at best and I
went back to take a look at mh/nmh to see if I liked it better and I may
give it a go for a while to kick the tires, likely making me the only
developer that uses nmh.

Keeping these notes on old tools--at the bottom of documentation no
less--seems to have little to no "cruft cost" with the potential of
helping somebody someday, even if nostalgia is the only reason.

Cheers!
Dave