Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Improve automatic setup of tracking for new branches

From: Ben Boeckel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 22:01:24 -0400

Hi,

I recently discovered some of the nicer behaviors of the `--track`
option for local branches (courtesy of `vim-fugitive`'s status
rendering). However, after a few weeks of slowly working `-t
origin/master` into my workflow, I figured that Git could help me out
here.

This patch adds two new configuration variables to initialize the
`branch.<name>.*` settings for tracking remote branches.

I searched the docs (including `Documentation/gitworkflows.txt`), but
didn't see anywhere to describe the fork-based workflow common on forges
(such as GitHub and GitLab) where this felt "at home". I suppose I could
describe the workflow I'm used to, but I think I'll hammer that out as
blog posts before submitting it as documentation.

I suspect there are more tests that should be added.

Thanks,

--Ben

---
v1 -> v2:
  - removed `branch.defaultPushRemote` (`remote.pushDefault` covers this
    case already)
  - improved the commit message with more background and an expanation
    of the intended uses

Ben Boeckel (1):
  config: support a default remote tracking setup upon branch creation

 Documentation/config/branch.txt | 14 ++++++++++++
 branch.c                        | 22 ++++++++++---------
 branch.h                        |  2 ++
 config.c                        | 10 +++++++++
 environment.c                   |  2 ++
 t/t3200-branch.sh               | 39 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 6 files changed, 79 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

base-commit: eb27b338a3e71c7c4079fbac8aeae3f8fbb5c687
-- 
2.31.1