Subject: [PATCH v2] clone: Allow combining --bare and --origin

From: Øystein Walle <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 19:49:44 +0200

The constraint on passing both these options simultaneously has been
present since long before clone was ported to C. At the time no
configuration referencing the remote repository was written at all in
bare clones.

Since df61c88979 (clone: also configure url for bare clones, 2010-03-29)
the remote repository is mentioned in the configuration file also for
bare repos, so it makes sense to allow the user to rename it if they
wish.

Signed-off-by: Øystein Walle <[email-masked]>
---

Hi Junio and Ævar,

I investigated a bit more and updated the commit message accordingly.
Instead of just removing the test I have replaced it with one that
checks that the behavior is as intended. 

Ævar, I was a bit melodramatic when I wrote "especially useful". I have
toned the commit message down a bit :-) In truth, I don't personally
have a use-case for this (I did reach out to the person who asked about
it in #git but did't get a reply) and have no problems with seeing this
patch ultimately rejected. It's just a result of me seeing it asked
about and getting an itch from it. But in my humble opinion this is now
an "artificial" constraint (for lack of a better term) and should be
removed on the grounds that there is no reason for it to be there in the
first place.

Thanks,
Øsse

 builtin/clone.c          |  3 ---
 t/t5606-clone-options.sh | 10 +++++-----
 2 files changed, 5 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin/clone.c b/builtin/clone.c
index 66fe66679c..70ec72ea85 100644
--- a/builtin/clone.c
+++ b/builtin/clone.c
@@ -1014,9 +1014,6 @@ int cmd_clone(int argc, const char **argv, const char *prefix)
 		option_bare = 1;
 
 	if (option_bare) {
-		if (option_origin)
-			die(_("--bare and --origin %s options are incompatible."),
-			    option_origin);
 		if (real_git_dir)
 			die(_("--bare and --separate-git-dir are incompatible."));
 		option_no_checkout = 1;
diff --git a/t/t5606-clone-options.sh b/t/t5606-clone-options.sh
index 3a595c0f82..c40dde816d 100755
--- a/t/t5606-clone-options.sh
+++ b/t/t5606-clone-options.sh
@@ -30,12 +30,12 @@ test_expect_success 'rejects invalid -o/--origin' '
 
 '
 
-test_expect_success 'disallows --bare with --origin' '
-
-	test_must_fail git clone -o foo --bare parent clone-bare-o 2>err &&
-	test_debug "cat err" &&
-	test_i18ngrep -e "--bare and --origin foo options are incompatible" err
+test_expect_success '--bare works with -o/--origin' '
 
+	git clone --bare --origin=somewhere parent clone-bare &&
+	url="$(git -C clone-bare config --local remote.somewhere.url)" &&
+	test -n "$url" &&
+	test_must_fail git -C clone-bare config --local remote.origin.url
 '
 
 test_expect_success 'disallows --bare with --separate-git-dir' '
-- 
2.27.0