Subject: [PATCH 0/3] Add some more options to the pretty-formats

From: Eli Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 21:42:53 -0400

While discussing adding git archive support to a software versioning
tool, the issue came up that apparently many people (maybe in the python
community specifically?) use lightweight tags for releases.

While it would be nice if the current describe functionality for
export-subst was sufficient to cover the average reasonable use, this is
apparently not the case; at least --tags support will most likely need
to be added. The alternative is documenting a workflow change and having
the versioning tool raise some kind of error if you use the wrong kind
of tag, which is not an exciting requirement for the project maintainer.

In my initial proposal of the %(describe) feature I gave an example
using --tags, but it never ended up in the initial implementation:

https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

So I figured I'd take a stab at it myself. While I was at it, I looked
at the options available to git describe and came up with a use case for
adding --abbrev support too.

Eli Schwartz (3):
  pretty.c: rename describe options variable to more descriptive name
  pretty: add tag option to %(describe)
  pretty: add abbrev option to %(describe)

 Documentation/pretty-formats.txt | 15 ++++++++++-----
 pretty.c                         | 31 +++++++++++++++++++++++--------
 t/t4205-log-pretty-formats.sh    | 16 ++++++++++++++++
 3 files changed, 49 insertions(+), 13 deletions(-)

-- 
2.33.1