Subject: Re: [PATCH v1 1/3] pack-bitmap.c: use "ret" in "open_midx_bitmap()

From: Teng Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:59:07 +0800

On Thu, 24 Mar 2022 15:11:08 -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:

> But thinking about some of my comments on patch 2/3 here, I think that
> we don't want to break out of that loop until we have visited both the
> MIDX in our repository, as well as any alternates (along with _their_
> alternates, recursively). 
>
> That _is_ a behavior change with respect to the existing implementation
> on master, but I think that what's on master is wrong to stop after
> looking at the first MIDX bitmap. At least, it's wrong in the same sense
> of: "we will only load _one_ of these MIDX bitmaps, so if there is more
> than one to choose from, the caller is mistaken".

I'm a little wondering that what's the practial meaning for _ do not _
stop after looking at the first MIDX bitmap? 

Although all MIDX bitmap are scanned, only one of them will eventually work
, and there seems to be no guarantee that the last MIDX that works is the
most appropriate one? (with the same comfusion applies to non-MIDX
bitmap's behavour...)

Thanks.