Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/1] dir: consider worktree config in path recursion

From: Goss Geppert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2022 20:32:33 +0000

Please see the commit message for a description. Effectively, since
8d92fb2927 (dir: replace exponential algorithm with a linear one,
2020-04-01) the following no longer does what it used to do:

```
test_repo="$(mktemp -d /tmp/git-test-XXXXXXX)"
cd "$test_repo"
>test-file
git init
git config core.worktree /tmp
git add test-file
```

In terms of desired behavior, it seems that if it is possible to track
files that are outside the default worktree, then it should also be
possible to track files inside the default worktree location.
Personally, I was using this setup to track dotfiles and some other
system related snippets and liked that design more than alternatives I'm
aware of.  I ran into this problem because I was recently unable to add a
file to an existing repository with this configuration.

There are a couple open items but I wanted to get some feedback to
confirm that the behavior of this patch is desirable or if I'm
overlooking something entirely.

TODOs:
[ ] add test
[ ] add signoffs

Goss Geppert (1):
  dir: consider worktree config in path recursion

 dir.c | 37 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------
 1 file changed, 30 insertions(+), 7 deletions(-)

base-commit: 0f828332d5ac36fc63b7d8202652efa152809856
-- 
2.36.0