Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/7] gitweb: fix "make" not including "gitweb" without NOOP run slowdowns

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 10:32:02 +0200

On Mon, Jun 06, 2022 at 10:44:54AM -0700, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason  <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > The $subject is a proposed re-roll of SZEDER's
> > https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked];
> > As noted downthread of that fix having the Makefile invoke "make -C
> > gitweb" again would slow us down on NOOP runs by quite a bit.
> 
> It would be nice to hear comments SZEDER and others, even if the
> comments are clear negative or positive.

Well, my itch is scratched, so I'm fine with it :)

I think Peff has a point by questioning whether we should build and
install gitweb by default...  I don't have an opinion about that, but
if we do want to build it by default, then IMO doing it in the main
Makefile is the way to go, so I think in that case this patch series
goes in the right direction.

On a related note: this is not the first time when something was not
generated during a regular 'make' but only during 'sudo make install',
see e.g. 2530afd351 (Makefile: generate Git(3pm) as dependency of the
'doc' and 'man' targets, 2018-02-15).  Perhaps it would be worth to
extend the CI jobs with a 'make install/install-doc' command, and
error out if it generated any files that were not present before, so
we could catch similar issues early on.