Subject: `git patch-id --stable' vs quoted-printable

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2022 02:25:03 +0000

While poking around at the newish patchid indexing support in
public-inbox[1], I noticed an inconsistency in how it seems to
mishandle quoted-printable messages.

For instance, René's message can apply fine with `git am':

https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/raw

However, note the blank context lines are truly blank, as in /^$/,
not /^ $/.  Running `git patch-id --stable' on the decoded content
of that message gives me: a245e99dbd2ce6e319955569eb8a111cb044f474
And that's the value public-inbox indexes.

That patch ends up being commit fc0f8bcd64eb0a03a7098f72da9c4008bd48cf11
in git.git.

However,
`git show fc0f8bcd64eb0a03a7098f72da9c4008bd48cf11 |git patch-id --stable'
gives me: fcac4cf581e11b703c229a129072c95c79b68bf

So, I'm wondering if the search indexing code of public-inbox
should s/^$/ /mgs before feeding stuff to `git patch-id'; and/or
if `git patch-id' should be assuming empty lines and lines with a
single SP are the same...

[1] https://public-inbox.org/meta/[email-masked]/