Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/2] status: improve info for detached HEAD

From: Roy Eldar <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 01:28:39 +0200

When a repository is cloned using "git clone -b" and a tag is specified,
HEAD is automatically detached. As a result, "git status" shows
"currently not on any branch", which is not very useful.

Teach "git status" to generate the "HEAD detached at" message in this
case as well, in a similar way to when a tag is checked out.

In the case of "git checkout", the name of the ref that was checked out
is retrieved from the reflog; for "git clone", the name of the ref isn't
present in the reflog entry, so we use the abbreviated hash instead.
This is also consistent with the "detached HEAD" advice.

Roy Eldar (2):
  t7508: test status output for detached HEAD after clone
  status: improve info for detached HEAD after clone

 t/t7508-status.sh | 12 ++++++++++++
 wt-status.c       |  7 +++++++
 2 files changed, 19 insertions(+)

-- 
2.30.2