Subject: Re: public-inbox.org/git to be downgraded

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2023 22:55:07 +0000

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Eric Wong <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > [1] https://80x24.org/lore/ dogfoods for lore.kernel.org and has
> >     the git.git coderepo wired up for blob construction if you
> >     follow diff hunk header links @ https://80x24.org/lore/git/
> >
> >     There's more stuff coming to dogfood with coderepo
> >     integration, too; but no guarantees it'll stay up since my
> >     SSD has a lot of wear on it, already.
> 
> Are you taking donations?

It's more the principle of refusing to go along with inflation
in the same way I refuse to go along with Moore's law.
(I haven't upgraded my HW since before I started public-inbox
in 2013 and have no plans to).

I also don't feel comfortable accepting donations for privacy
reasons, either.  Of course, I've never been comfortable at all
at setting expectations or providing guarantees for anything I
do...  **cues up "Lowered Expectations" jingle**

> Also, is there a plan to add that custom gmane:<number> query to
> lore archive?  That is one and only thing I still sometimes go to
> public-inbox.org/git

Fwiw, data's been easily downloadable for a while and documented
in the somewhat difficult-to-find
<https://public-inbox.org/git/_/text/config/raw>[1] config snippet:

  curl -d '' https://public-inbox.org/git/gmane.sql.gz | \
    gzip -dc

(I just noticed the sqlite3 invocation is slightly wrong
 in the generated example, will fix)

I could figure out how to add it to the extindex-enabled[2]
80x24.org/lore mirror I run, but lore.kernel.org is Konstantin's
domain.

[1] linked from <https://public-inbox.org/git/_/text/mirror/>,
    which is linked from the top of every page, so hopefully
    _/text/mirror is easy-to-find...

[2] -extindex is a newish mechanism used by lore and its mirrors
     to enable significant space and memory savings by combining
     the search indices across multiple inboxes; but that means
     per-inbox prefix handling like "gmane:" gets trickier...