Subject: [PATCH 0/2] use gettimeofday for current time

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2023 23:43:51 -0700

In recent GNU/Linux versions on rare occasions the 'time' function
returns a value that is one second less than the seconds component of
the timestamp that would be returned by gettimeofday, clock_gettime
with CLOCK_REALTIME, 'stat' on a recently modified file, etc.

If a program calls both 'time' and any of these other functions, the
system clock will appear to jump backwards by a second temporarily.
This can lead to confusing or inconsistent output.

A simple workaround for Git is to use 'gettimeofday' instead of
'time'.  Although other options are possible (see the commit message
of patch 0002), simplest is probably best.

Paul Eggert (2):
  git-compat-util: time_now for current time
  git-compat-util: use gettimeofday for current time

 archive.c                          | 2 +-
 blame.c                            | 2 +-
 builtin/bugreport.c                | 2 +-
 builtin/credential-cache--daemon.c | 4 ++--
 builtin/diagnose.c                 | 2 +-
 builtin/fast-import.c              | 2 +-
 builtin/fsmonitor--daemon.c        | 4 ++--
 builtin/gc.c                       | 2 +-
 builtin/log.c                      | 2 +-
 builtin/receive-pack.c             | 2 +-
 builtin/reflog.c                   | 2 +-
 commit-graph.c                     | 4 ++--
 compat/nedmalloc/malloc.c.h        | 2 +-
 credential.c                       | 4 ++--
 date.c                             | 6 +++---
 git-compat-util.h                  | 8 ++++++++
 http-backend.c                     | 2 +-
 http-push.c                        | 6 +++---
 rerere.c                           | 2 +-
 run-command.c                      | 4 ++--
 t/helper/test-chmtime.c            | 4 ++--
 t/helper/test-simple-ipc.c         | 4 ++--
 22 files changed, 40 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)

--
2.39.2