Subject: Re: [PATCH] t3070: make chain lint tester happy

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2023 03:58:32 -0400

On Sat, Mar 25, 2023 at 02:54:45AM -0400, Eric Sunshine wrote:

> > > +     {
> > > +             test-tool wildmatch wildmatch \
> > > +                     aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab \
> > > +                     "*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a" &
> > > +             pid=$!
> > > +     } &&
> >
> > This looks like the right solution. I do wonder how Phillip managed to
> > miss it, though, since the test script complains loudly.
> 
> I am unable to reproduce any linting errors when running this script
> through chainlint, which is why I was more than a little confused by
> this patch when I read it, and I was just about to ask for more
> information, such as the actual error message.

It's not your chain-lint script, but rather the builtin one that sticks
"(exit 117) &&" in front of the snippet and evals it. So it creates the
exact "foo && bar &" situation by prepending a line to the snippet.

So running (on seen, which has 1f2e05f0b79):

  ./t3070-wildmatch.sh

gives me:

  ok 1890 - ipathmatch (via ls-files): match '[Z-y]' 'Z'
  error: bug in the test script: broken &&-chain or run-away HERE-DOC:
  	test-tool wildmatch wildmatch \
  		aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab \
  		"*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a*a" &
  	pid=$! &&
  	sleep 2 &&
  	! kill $!

-Peff