Subject: Re: public-inbox.org/git to be downgraded

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 10:20:24 +0000

Eric Wong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Due to increasing costs and inflation, I'll be switching to a
> cheaper VPS and likely proxying via ssh tunnel like I do with
> <https://80x24.org/lore/>[1]

Done.  The HTTP/HTTPS endpoint is running via ssh tunnel because
Xapian requires a lot of disk space, but I managed to keep the
git@vger NNTP(S)/IMAP(S) endpoints on the VPS for now since
those only need the smaller SQLite DBs.

IMAP used to have search enabled, but I figure server-side IMAP
search is rarely useful; so the search index is gone on
imaps://public-inbox.org/inbox.comp.version-contro.git.*

IMAP search remains enabled on the Tor .onion endpoint:
  imap://ie5yzdi7fg72h7s4sdcztq5evakq23rdt33mfyfcddc5u3ndnw24ogqd.onion/
(which requires Tor to access, so it's pretty slow)

> Reaching me may become less reliable, too, since my MTA is
> on the same VPS that's being downgraded.

Actually, 1G is still a lot of RAM to me; 4x more than I had in 2008.
(32-bit userspace, 64-bit kernel)