Subject: Re: git log causing hang while browsing upstream linux

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2023 09:09:06 +0200

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 08:00:05PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 10:37:15PM +0530, Rohit Ner wrote:
> > I have not given the command more than 10 seconds, shouldn't the
> > intended behaviour be to render the visible subgraph first?
> 
> This is possible with Git's "commit-graph" feature, which you can read
> about starting here:
> 
> 		https://devblogs.microsoft.com/devops/supercharging-the-git-commit-graph/
> 
> TL;DR: if you run "git commit-graph write"

Please never recommend 'git commit-graph write' without '--reachable';
scanning all packed objects to find commits to include in the
commit-graph is just too inefficient for that.

> once before running "git log
> --oneline --graph", you'll get near-instantaneous results.

The commit-graph has been enabled by default in v2.24.0, released over
three years ago.  I wonder why Rohit's and/or Kristoffer's repos
didn't have it already?!