Subject: [PATCH v9 3/8] t2400: refactor "worktree add" opt exclusion tests

From: Jacob Abel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 09:33:52 +0000

Pull duplicate test code into a function so that additional opt
combinations can be tested succinctly.

Signed-off-by: Jacob Abel <[email-masked]>
---
 t/t2400-worktree-add.sh | 24 ++++++++++++++----------
 1 file changed, 14 insertions(+), 10 deletions(-)

diff --git a/t/t2400-worktree-add.sh b/t/t2400-worktree-add.sh
index 9bc3db20e4..6822be4666 100755
--- a/t/t2400-worktree-add.sh
+++ b/t/t2400-worktree-add.sh
@@ -298,17 +298,21 @@ test_expect_success '"add" no auto-vivify with --detach and <branch> omitted' '
 	test_must_fail git -C mish/mash symbolic-ref HEAD
 '

-test_expect_success '"add" -b/-B mutually exclusive' '
-	test_must_fail git worktree add -b poodle -B poodle bamboo main
-'
-
-test_expect_success '"add" -b/--detach mutually exclusive' '
-	test_must_fail git worktree add -b poodle --detach bamboo main
-'
+# Helper function to test mutually exclusive options.
+#
+# Note: Quoted arguments containing spaces are not supported.
+test_wt_add_excl () {
+	local opts="$*" &&
+	test_expect_success "'worktree add' with '$opts' has mutually exclusive options" '
+		test_when_finished cat actual >&2 &&
+		test_must_fail git worktree add $opts 2>actual &&
+		grep -E "fatal:( options)? .* cannot be used together" actual
+	'
+}

-test_expect_success '"add" -B/--detach mutually exclusive' '
-	test_must_fail git worktree add -B poodle --detach bamboo main
-'
+test_wt_add_excl -b poodle -B poodle bamboo main
+test_wt_add_excl -b poodle --detach bamboo main
+test_wt_add_excl -B poodle --detach bamboo main

 test_expect_success '"add -B" fails if the branch is checked out' '
 	git rev-parse newmain >before &&
--
2.39.2