Subject: Re: Fix git-send-email.perl w.r.t. recent Getopt::Long update

From: "H.Merijn Brand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2023 10:45:22 +0100

On Sat, 25 Nov 2023 09:22:29 +0700, Bagas Sanjaya <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 10:39:32AM +0100, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> > Patch attached  
> 
> Do not send patches as attachments; send them inline instead. See
> Documentation/SubmittingPatches for more info (hint: send patches
> with git-send-email(1)).

As I am used to PR's by now on all OSS projects I am involved in, or
use git commits or merges directly on the repo, I *never* use
format-patch and/or send-email.

These docs - yes I read them - do not offer a concise cut-n-paste
example for people like me. In order to have my relative simple patch
submitted (I already had the PR ready, but that came with a huge
warning that PR's are not accepted) I did it the way I did it. Now I
need to read and learn two new commands> I don't think that is very
user-friendly, but that might be just me.

Ironically, this patch is about the mail part of git.

I suggest adding a small example like

 # Create the patch basics
 $ git format-patch --cover-letter -M origin/master -o outgoing
 # Fix the subject
 $ $VISUAL outgoing/0000-cover-letter.patch
 # Send the mail
 $ git send-email --to=[email-masked] outgoing/*

> Thanks.

-- 
H.Merijn Brand  https://tux.nl   Perl Monger   http://amsterdam.pm.org/
using perl5.00307 .. 5.37        porting perl5 on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux
https://tux.nl/email.html http://qa.perl.org https://www.test-smoke.org