Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Jan 2024, #01; Tue, 2)

From: SZEDER Gábor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 19:35:44 +0100

On Wed, Jan 03, 2024 at 10:08:18AM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Taylor Blau <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> >> * tb/path-filter-fix (2023-10-18) 17 commits
> >>  - bloom: introduce `deinit_bloom_filters()`
> >>  ...
> >>  - t/t4216-log-bloom.sh: harden `test_bloom_filters_not_used()`
> >>
> >>  The Bloom filter used for path limited history traversal was broken
> >>  on systems whose "char" is unsigned; update the implementation and
> >>  bump the format version to 2.
> >>
> >>  Expecting a reroll.
> >>  cf. <[email-masked]>
> >>  source: <[email-masked]>
> >
> > I was confused by this one, since I couldn't figure out which tests
> > Gábor was referring to here. I responded in [1], but haven't heard back
> > since the end of October.
> > ...
> > [1]: https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

I keep referring to the test in:

  https://public-inbox.org/git/[email-masked]/

which, rather disappointingly, is still the only test out there
exercising the interaction between split commit graphs and different
modified path Bloom filter versions.  Note that in that message I
mentioned that merging layers with differenet Bloom filter versions
seemed to work, but that, alas, is no longer the case, because it's
now broken in Taylor's recent iterations of the patch series.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record: the interaction of split
commit graphs and different Bloom filter versions should be thoroughly
tested.