Subject: [PATCH 00/22] avoid redundant pipelines

From: "Beat Bolli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2024 22:24:59 +0100

As follow-up to [1], here's a series that eliminates redundant
pipelines, mostly under t/.

Spawning a process is notoriously slow on Windows, so this will improve
test performance.

1/22 to 14/22 remove redundant uses of "cat" where the shell handles
input redirection from a file or the command can take a file argument.

15/22 to 20/22 merge redundant uses of "grep" into the following "sed"
or "awk" command. Both of these are capable of filtering themselves. I'm
a bit on the fence about this part because readability suffers in some
cases. It was a fun exercise, though :-)

21/22 merges multiple "sed" calls into one and replaces a whole "cat |
grep | awk" construct with a single "awk" call and uses "sort -u"
instead of "sort | uniq".

22/22 finally is a bit of an outlier in that it replaces a subshell with
a shell compound command.

In the tests, I have completely arbitrarily separated the commits into
thousands blocks to keep the commits and their reviews manageable.

All tests that I was able to run still pass. I don't have p4 or cvs
installed.

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/

Beat Bolli (22):
  doc: avoid redundant use of cat
  contrib/subtree/t: avoid redundant use of cat
  t/lib-cvs.sh: avoid redundant use of cat
  t/annotate-tests.sh: avoid redundant use of cat
  t/perf: avoid redundant use of cat
  t/t0*: avoid redundant uses of cat
  t/t1*: avoid redundant uses of cat
  t/t3*: avoid redundant uses of cat
  t/t4*: avoid redundant uses of cat
  t/t5*: avoid redundant uses of cat
  t/t6*: avoid redundant uses of cat
  t/t7*: avoid redundant use of cat
  t/t8*: avoid redundant use of cat
  t/t9*: avoid redundant uses of cat
  t/t1*: merge a "grep | sed" pipeline
  t/t3*: merge a "grep | awk" pipeline
  t/t4*: merge a "grep | sed" pipeline
  t/t5*: merge a "grep | sed" pipeline
  t/t8*: merge "grep | sed" pipelines
  t/t9*: merge "grep | sed" pipelines
  contrib/coverage-diff: avoid redundant pipelines
  git-quiltimport: avoid an unnecessary subshell

 Documentation/howto/update-hook-example.txt |  4 +--
 contrib/coverage-diff.sh                    |  9 ++----
 contrib/subtree/t/t7900-subtree.sh          |  2 +-
 git-quiltimport.sh                          |  2 +-
 t/annotate-tests.sh                         |  2 +-
 t/lib-cvs.sh                                |  4 +--
 t/perf/repos/inflate-repo.sh                |  2 +-
 t/t0002-gitfile.sh                          |  2 +-
 t/t0011-hashmap.sh                          |  2 +-
 t/t0028-working-tree-encoding.sh            |  4 +--
 t/t0204-gettext-reencode-sanity.sh          |  2 +-
 t/t1007-hash-object.sh                      |  6 ++--
 t/t1091-sparse-checkout-builtin.sh          |  2 +-
 t/t1509/prepare-chroot.sh                   |  2 +-
 t/t3200-branch.sh                           |  2 +-
 t/t3321-notes-stripspace.sh                 |  8 ++---
 t/t3920-crlf-messages.sh                    |  4 +--
 t/t4002-diff-basic.sh                       |  2 +-
 t/t4020-diff-external.sh                    |  2 +-
 t/t4150-am.sh                               |  2 +-
 t/t4205-log-pretty-formats.sh               |  2 +-
 t/t4301-merge-tree-write-tree.sh            |  8 ++---
 t/t5100-mailinfo.sh                         |  2 +-
 t/t5317-pack-objects-filter-objects.sh      |  2 +-
 t/t5401-update-hooks.sh                     |  2 +-
 t/t5534-push-signed.sh                      |  2 +-
 t/t6112-rev-list-filters-objects.sh         |  2 +-
 t/t6413-merge-crlf.sh                       |  4 +--
 t/t7704-repack-cruft.sh                     |  2 +-
 t/t8010-cat-file-filters.sh                 |  2 +-
 t/t8013-blame-ignore-revs.sh                | 28 ++++++++---------
 t/t9118-git-svn-funky-branch-names.sh       |  2 +-
 t/t9300-fast-import.sh                      | 10 +++---
 t/t9350-fast-export.sh                      |  4 +--
 t/t9400-git-cvsserver-server.sh             | 35 ++++++++++-----------
 t/t9802-git-p4-filetype.sh                  |  2 +-
 t/t9807-git-p4-submit.sh                    |  2 +-
 t/t9824-git-p4-git-lfs.sh                   |  4 +--
 38 files changed, 86 insertions(+), 94 deletions(-)

-- 
2.44.0