Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 17/30] pseudo-merge: implement support for selecting pseudo-merge commits

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2024 06:12:48 -0400

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 03:02:32PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:

> diff --git a/Documentation/config/bitmap-pseudo-merge.txt b/Documentation/config/bitmap-pseudo-merge.txt
> new file mode 100644
> index 00000000000..d4a2023b84a
> --- /dev/null
> +++ b/Documentation/config/bitmap-pseudo-merge.txt
> @@ -0,0 +1,90 @@
> +NOTE: The configuration options in `bitmapPseudoMerge.*` are considered
> +EXPERIMENTAL and may be subject to change or be removed entirely in the
> +future.

I'm happy to see this all marked as experimental. We really don't know
what selection approach will be best yet, and it's good not to lock
ourselves in.

I wasn't sure how this would format via asciidoc, since we're in the
middle of a list of variables. It...kind of looks like the note goes
under the previous entry (for attr.tree) in the text manpage. Though
looking at the docbook, I _think_ it's actually outside of that, and
it's just how the roff ends up indenting it?

I don't know if it's worth spending too much time on, but maybe there's
an easy way to do it differently (I couldn't think of one).

This paragraph might also be a good place to refer to gitpacking(7).

> diff --git a/Documentation/gitpacking.txt b/Documentation/gitpacking.txt
> index ff18077129b..1ed645ff910 100644
> --- a/Documentation/gitpacking.txt
> +++ b/Documentation/gitpacking.txt

Thanks, I think this new file and the content you added address all of
my documentation complaints.

I think it will also be a good place to discuss bitmaps in general, but
you were IMHO wise to not do that in this series, which is already quite
big. :)

-Peff