Subject: Re: Linking topic merges to mailing list threads

From: Eric Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2024 22:50:57 +0000

Emily Shaffer <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> 
> We've been wanting to gather metrics on Git's code review process -
> how long it takes from first contact on list to merge, how many
> iterations are needed, time between iterations, etc. One missing link
> is the actual merge time in `next` and `master` - a human can infer
> the link between the patch and the mailing list thread, but it's more
> challenging for a script to do it.

Searching by commit titles as a phrase against email subject (`s:')
can probably make it easy w/o having to look up amlog or explicitly
keep track of human-unmemorizable metadata such as Message-IDs.

Example:
https://80x24.org/lore/pub/scm/git/git.git/365529e1ea19b44a7a253b780f3ae3a1cb2f081f/s/#merged

...In the "find merged patch emails" textarea.  Yeah it's part of a
100% JS-free alternative to cgit, gitweb, etc...

(https://public-inbox.org/meta/[email-masked]/
 implements the query generation)