Subject: [PATCH v9 1/7] t/t5505-remote: set default branch to main

From: Bence Ferdinandy <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2024 00:53:08 +0200

Consider the bare repository called "mirror" in the test.  Running `git
remote add --mirror -f origin ../one` will not change HEAD, consequently
if init.defaultBranch is not the same as what HEAD in the remote
("one"), HEAD in "mirror" will be pointing to a non-existent reference.
Hence if "mirror" is used as a remote by yet another repository,
ls-remote will not show HEAD. On the other hand, if init.defaultBranch
happens to match HEAD in "one", then ls-remote will show HEAD.

Since the CI globally exports GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME=main,
there's a drift between how the test repositories are set up in the CI
and during local testing. This issue does not manifest currently, as the
test does not do any remote HEAD manipulation where this would come up,
but should such things be added, a locally passing test would break the
CI vice-versa.

Set GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME=main in the test to be
consistent with the CI.
---

Notes:
    v9: - new patch
        - a bandaid for the CI issue noticed by Taylor (cf:
          https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/), but
          see
          https://lore.kernel.org/git/[email-masked]/ for the root cause in detail

 t/t5505-remote.sh | 3 +++
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+)

diff --git a/t/t5505-remote.sh b/t/t5505-remote.sh
index 532035933f..9b50276646 100755
--- a/t/t5505-remote.sh
+++ b/t/t5505-remote.sh
@@ -2,6 +2,9 @@
 
 test_description='git remote porcelain-ish'
 
+GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME=main
+export GIT_TEST_DEFAULT_INITIAL_BRANCH_NAME
+
 TEST_PASSES_SANITIZE_LEAK=true
 . ./test-lib.sh
 
-- 
2.47.0.92.g83fdbe24c3.dirty