Subject: [GSoC PATCH v6 0/2] send-email: improve error capture and status code handling

From: Zheng Yuting <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2025 10:51:26 +0800

This patch series improves SMTP authentication error handling.

Auth relied solely on return values without capturing exceptions,
misjudging non-credential errors as authentication failures.

Patch v6 1/2 wraps the auth process in an eval {} block to catch all
exceptions, adds var error for future handling, and var result to return
auth state.

Patch v6 2/2 introduces finer-grained SMTP error handling, extracting
status codes per RFC 5321 to differentiate between temporary (4yz) and
permanent (5yz) errors. Unrecognized codes are treated as permanent
failures. Otherwise return the authentication result.

Zheng Yuting (2):
  send-email: capture errors in an eval {} block
  send-email: finer-grained SMTP error handling

 git-send-email.perl | 62 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-------------
 1 file changed, 45 insertions(+), 17 deletions(-)

--
2.48.1