Subject: [GSoC][RFC PATCH 0/2] Add refs list subcommand

From: Meet Soni <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2025 13:19:32 +0530

This patch series introduces `git refs list` as a modern replacement for
`git for-each-ref`, as part of an effort to consolidate ref-related
functionality under a unified `git refs` command.

Git's ref-related operations are currently handled by several distinct
commands, such as `git show-ref`, `git for-each-ref`, `git update-ref`,
`git pack-refs`, etc. This distribution has a few practical drawbacks:

- Users need to rely on multiple commands for related tasks involving
  refs.

- The commands may differ slightly in behavior and option syntax,
  leading to inconsistency.

We propose a long-term consolidation effort to bring ref-related
subcommands under the umbrella of a single command: `git refs`.

The implementation of `git refs list` is functionally identical to `git
for-each-ref`. It reuses the same internal logic (cmd_for_each_ref) to
ensure complete backward compatibility. The purpose of this patch is not
to introduce new behavior but to provide an alternate entry point under
the consolidated `git refs` namespace.

The motivation behind this change is twofold:

- Consolidation: Centralizing ref-related operations makes them easier
  to discover, use, and maintain.

- Evolution: While the initial goal is parity with existing commands,
  this consolidation allows for careful reconsideration of which
  features are essential. Over time, we can:

  - Remove legacy or obscure options that are no longer needed.
  - Add improvements that wouldn't make sense to bolt onto legacy
    commands.
  - Offering a more consistent and user-friendly surface.

To verify backward compatibility, this patch also includes a test
`t/t1461-refs-list.sh`, which runs the full `t6300-for-each-ref.sh` test
using `git refs list`. The test uses ${GIT_REFS_LIST_CMD:-for-each-ref}
to allow substitution without duplicating tests.

This patch is deliberately conservative: it introduces no behavioral
changes and leaves `for-each-ref` untouched. The goal is to lay
groundwork and demonstrate viability of ref consolidation within `git
refs`.

Going forward, I'd like to initiate a discussion on what the ideal
surface of `git refs list` should look like. Which options and features
from `for-each-ref` should be carried over? Are there any that are
obsolete or overly niche? What improvements might be worth considering
now that we have a new, consolidated interface?

Feedback on this, especially from those who rely on `for-each-ref` in
scripts or tooling would be very helpful.

Meet Soni (2):
  builtin/refs: add list subcommand
  t: add test for git refs list subcommand

 Documentation/git-refs.adoc |  95 ++++++++++
 builtin/refs.c              | 110 ++++++++++++
 t/meson.build               |   1 +
 t/t1461-refs-list.sh        |   8 +
 t/t6300-for-each-ref.sh     | 333 ++++++++++++++++++------------------
 5 files changed, 384 insertions(+), 163 deletions(-)
 create mode 100755 t/t1461-refs-list.sh

base-commit: cb3b40381e1d5ee32dde96521ad7cfd68eb308a6
-- 
2.34.1