Subject: [PATCH v2 2/4] apply: only write intents to add for new files

From: "Raymond E. Pasco" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2025 17:26:45 -0400

In the "update only the worktree" mode, the index should not be touched
except to record intents to add when --intent-to-add is on. Because
having --intent-to-add on sets update_index, to indicate that we are
touching the index, we can't rely only on that flag to decide whether to
write an index entry.

Because we have already entered write_out_results() and are performing
writes, we know that state->apply is true. If state->check_index is
additionally true, we are in a mode which updates the index and should
always write, whereas if we are merely in ita_only mode we must only
write if the patch is a new file creation patch.

Signed-off-by: Raymond E. Pasco <[email-masked]>
---
 apply.c | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/apply.c b/apply.c
index c8d4517c0a..8637ad4c9f 100644
--- a/apply.c
+++ b/apply.c
@@ -4565,7 +4565,7 @@ static int create_file(struct apply_state *state, struct patch *patch)
 
 	if (patch->conflicted_threeway)
 		return add_conflicted_stages_file(state, patch);
-	else if (state->update_index)
+	else if (state->check_index || (state->ita_only && patch->is_new > 0))
 		return add_index_file(state, path, mode, buf, size);
 	return 0;
 }
-- 
2.50.0.201.gfeb04032fb