Subject: [PATCH v4 0/2] refactor t1517 to focus on help output outside a repository

From: Usman Akinyemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2025 17:25:17 +0530

This series refactors t1517-outside-repo.sh to focus on testing
`git subcmd -h` outside a Git repository. It does two things:

  1. Moves the existing `update-server-info -h` test to t5200, since it
     tests behavior *inside* a repo and belongs with other update-server-info
     tests.
  
  2. Introduces a loop in t1517 that automatically verifies `-h` output
     for all main Git subcommands when run outside a repository, using
     the `nongit` helper and `git --list-cmds=main`.

This makes t1517 easier to maintain and ensures that new commands are
automatically covered for this class of behavior.

Changes since v3:
  - Changes the approach from having the t1517 to test
  both help outside and inside repo to just having inside repo.

Usman Akinyemi (2):
  t/t1517: automate `git subcmd -h` tests outside a repository
  t5200: move `update-server-info -h` test from t1517

 t/t1517-outside-repo.sh       | 28 ++++++++++++++++++++++------
 t/t5200-update-server-info.sh |  5 +++++
 2 files changed, 27 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

-- 
2.50.0