Subject: [PATCH] ref-cache: set prefix_state when seeking

From: Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2025 00:11:36 +0200

In 090eb5336c (refs: selectively set prefix in the seek functions,
2025-07-15) we separated the seeking functionality of reference
iterators from the functionality to set prefix to an iterator. This
allows users of ref iterators to seek to a particular reference to
provide pagination support.

The files-backend, uses the ref-cache iterator to iterate over loose
refs. The iterator tracks directories and entries already processed via
a stack of levels. Each level corresponds to a directory under the files
backend. New levels are added to the stack, and when all entries from a
level is yielded, the corresponding level is popped from the stack.

To accommodate seeking, we need to populate and traverse the levels to
stop the requested seek marker at the appropriate level and its entry
index. Each level also contains a 'prefix_state' which is used for
prefix matching, this allows the iterator to skip levels/entries which
don't match a prefix. The default value of 'prefix_state' is
PREFIX_CONTAINS_DIR, which yields all entries within a level. When
purely seeking without prefix matching, we want to yield all entries.
The commit however, skips setting the value explicitly. This causes the
MemorySanitizer to issue a 'use-of-uninitialized-value' error when
running 't/t6302-for-each-ref-filter'.

Set the value explicitly to avoid to fix the issue.

Reported-by: Kyle Lippincott <[email-masked]>
Helped-by: Kyle Lippincott <[email-masked]>
Helped-by: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]>
---

Here is my version of the same patch!

 refs/ref-cache.c | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/refs/ref-cache.c b/refs/ref-cache.c
index 1d95b56d40..ceef3a2008 100644
--- a/refs/ref-cache.c
+++ b/refs/ref-cache.c
@@ -527,6 +527,7 @@ static int cache_ref_iterator_seek(struct ref_iterator *ref_iterator,
 				level = &iter->levels[iter->levels_nr++];
 				level->dir = dir;
 				level->index = -1;
+				level->prefix_state = PREFIX_CONTAINS_DIR;
 			} else {
 				/* reduce the index so the leaf node is iterated over */
 				if (cmp <= 0 && !slash)
-- 
2.49.0