Subject: [PATCH 0/4] permit -h/--help-all in more scenarios

From: "D. Ben Knoble" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2025 12:53:10 -0400

This series depends on ua/t1517-short-help-tests with some fixes, which show up
in the first patch. Merge that branch to a new topic branch, then apply this
series.

This series enables --help-all outside of repository contexts, and
allows -h with other arguments (without breaking existing ls-remote/grep
usage).

It consists of preparatory steps (fixes for a dependency branch;
refactoring to make an internal helper's arguments clearer) followed by
the main commits.

D. Ben Knoble (4):
  t1517: fixup for ua/t1517-short-help-tests
  parse-options: name flags passed to usage_with_options_internal
  builtin: also setup gently for --help-all
  builtins: show help on "-h"/"--help-all" with more than 2 arguments
    left

 builtin/merge-recursive.c     |  3 ++-
 git.c                         |  2 +-
 parse-options.c               | 41 +++++++++++++++++++++++++----------
 t/t1517-outside-repo.sh       |  9 +++++---
 t/t5200-update-server-info.sh |  2 +-
 usage.c                       |  3 ++-
 6 files changed, 41 insertions(+), 19 deletions(-)

base-commit: e4ef0485fd78fcb05866ea78df35796b904e4a8e
prerequisite-patch-id: ffce2dd036e61c8d36485a17321f858e454db874
prerequisite-patch-id: 52539022c824997adfc1be0bed8de6b1851d2187
-- 
2.48.1