Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/49] repack: prepare for incremental MIDX-based repacking

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2025 02:29:13 -0400

On Sun, Sep 28, 2025 at 06:07:10PM -0400, Taylor Blau wrote:

> This series moves the vast majority of the builtin's functionality into
> several new compilation units, all grouped under a new repack.h API:
> 
>  * repack.c
>  * repack-cruft.c
>  * repack-filtered.c
>  * repack-geometry.c
>  * repack-midx.c
>  * repack-promisor.c

I've read up through patch 37. My eyes were starting to glaze over at
that point, and it looked like the patches were starting to get more
interesting, so I've saved the rest for another session.

>From what I read, the changes all look reasonable. I brought up a few
small naming and interface questions, but I don't think there's anything
incorrect here. And there may be diminishing returns in polishing an API
which is realistically only going to be called from one place.

The split you have seems reasonable. It's not quite as clean as one
might hope (e.g., repack's existing_packs gets passed around to some of
the other subsystems). But again, diminishing returns on trying to
untangle it further.

-Peff