Subject: [PATCH 0/4] refs: cleanup code around optimizations

From: Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2025 23:25:05 +0200

This is extracted from a recent series I sent [1], which I've since
dropped to follow up with a different approach. I think these patches
hold value individually.

They mostly cleanup code around 'git refs optimize' which was added
recently in db0babf9b2 (Merge branch 'ms/refs-optimize', 2025-10-02).
The code in the refs subsystem contains both 'pack-refs' and 'optimize'
functions, which are one and the same.

This series unifies this to only retain the 'optimize' functions and
naming, since it backend generic.

This is based on top of master 143f58ef75 (Sync with Git 2.51.1,
2025-10-15) with 'ps/ref-peeled-tags' merged in.

[1]: 20251010-562-add-option[email-masked]

Signed-off-by: Karthik Nayak <[email-masked]>
---
 pack-refs.c                   |  8 ++++----
 refs.c                        |  8 +-------
 refs.h                        | 24 +++++++++---------------
 refs/debug.c                  |  8 ++++----
 refs/files-backend.c          | 22 ++++++----------------
 refs/packed-backend.c         |  6 +++---
 refs/refs-internal.h          |  5 +----
 refs/reftable-backend.c       | 15 ++++-----------
 t/pack-refs-tests.sh          |  2 --
 t/t0601-reffiles-pack-refs.sh |  2 ++
 t/t1463-refs-optimize.sh      |  2 ++
 11 files changed, 36 insertions(+), 66 deletions(-)

Karthik Nayak (4):
      refs: move to using the '.optimize' functions
      refs: cleanup code around optimization
      refs: rename 'pack_refs_opts' to 'refs_optimize_opts'
      t/pack-refs-tests: move the 'test_done' to callees

base-commit: 854a80fd48848f942c4a566c9880dc5f089887af
change-id: 20251015-refs-code-cleanup-871a7ce7c8dd

Thanks
- Karthik