Subject: [PATCH 0/3] add a message-id header to git

From: James Bottomley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2025 14:57:55 -0400

There has been some debate in the kernel community about how to link
commits back to email, which is the basis of a lot of scripting we do

https://lore.kernel.org/ksummit/[email-masked]/

However, this problem is one that goes beyond the kernel, so having
git always track the message-id of the email used to create the commit
will be useful beyond our tools as well.  The design of this
message-id header is that it never shows up except in --pretty=raw
output, so it will never be ordinarily visible, but can be extracted
by scripts.  Some projects use the -m flag of git-am to add the
Message-Id to the trailers and for backwards compatibility, this
functionality is not changed although it is hoped that it is now
redundant.

Regards,

James

---

James Bottomley (3):
  mailinfo.c: always collect the message-id
  builtin/am.c: add a message-id commit header
  t4150-am: add a test for message-id header collection

 builtin/am.c  | 15 ++++++++++++++-
 mailinfo.c    |  5 ++---
 t/t4150-am.sh | 20 +++++++++++++++++++-
 3 files changed, 35 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)

-- 
2.51.0