Subject: [PATCH v3] doc: clarify server behavior for invalid 'want' lines in HTTP protocol

From: Queen Ediri Jessa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2025 16:51:27 +0100

Update the documentation to clearly describe how the server responds when a
client sends an invalid or malformed `want` line during the HTTP protocol
exchange. This improves understanding of Git’s behavior when handling
incorrect object requests and helps developers detect and handle such
protocol issues accurately.

Signed-off-by: Queen Ediri Jessa <[email-masked]>

---

Changes since v1:
- Rephrased the explanation to be more concise and aligned with reviewer
  feedback.
- Clarified that the server includes the offending object name in its error
  message.
- Adjusted tone to describe the expected behavior rather than prescribing
  implementation-specific messages.
- Improved readability and technical consistency of the section.

 Documentation/gitprotocol-http.adoc | 5 ++++-
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/gitprotocol-http.adoc b/Documentation/gitprotocol-http.adoc
index d024010414..f3f48d3f35 100644
--- a/Documentation/gitprotocol-http.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/gitprotocol-http.adoc
@@ -443,7 +443,10 @@ If no "want" objects are received, send an error:
 TODO: Define error if no "want" lines are requested.
 
 If any "want" object is not reachable, send an error:
-TODO: Define error if an invalid "want" is requested.
+When a Git server receives an invalid or malformed `want` line, it
+responds with an error message that includes the offending object name.
+This clarifies the expected behavior for Git implementations and helps
+clients detect protocol issues accurately during fetch operations.
 
 Create an empty list, `s_common`.
 
-- 
2.51.0.573.gb660e2dcb9