Subject: Re: [PATCH 3/9] Makefile: turn on NO_MMAP when building with ASan

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2025 03:49:35 -0500

On Wed, Nov 12, 2025 at 10:12:02PM -0500, Taylor Blau wrote:

> I wonder what (if anything) our policy should be for keeping the
> Makefile and Meson build scripts in sync. On the one hand, I do not want
> the two of them to drift (too far) apart. But on the other, I am not
> sure that everyone who may be touching the Makefile are necessarily
> familiar enough to make the equivalent changes to the Meson build files.
> 
> I genuinely don't have a very strong opinion here or even really a clear
> sense of what the right thing to do is. Just something that crossed my
> mind while reading and figured I'd write down in case others had similar
> thoughts.

My personal preference is for people who care about meson to just post
their own meson patches adding the same features. Either as a separate
series (collecting several such features as appropriate), or as a
complete patch that the maintainer can pick up on top of the series in
question.

Posting something squashable (as Patrick did here) is almost as good
(and certainly better than tasking random folks with figuring out how
meson works). But I'm hesitant for reviews of random topics to include
"you should re-roll with my proposed meson changes". It's extra work for
contributors who don't care about meson, and it risks de-railing the
topic if the changes are non-trivial.

I'll admit I'm possibly biased and being selfish there, because I do not
care about meson myself and have mostly found its addition to the
project to be a hassle.

-Peff