Subject: [PATCH 2/2] t5564: fix test hang under zsh's sh mode

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2025 01:21:06 +0000

This test starts a SOCKS server in Perl in the background and then kills
it after the tests are done.  However, when using zsh (in sh mode) in
the tests, the start_socks function hangs until the background process
is killed.

Note that this does not reproduce in a simple shell script, so there is
likely some interaction between job handling, our heavy use of eval in
the test framework, and possibly other complexities of our test
framework.  What is clear, however, is that switching from a compound
statement to a subshell fixes the problem entirely and the test passes
with no problem, so do that.

Signed-off-by: brian m. carlson <[email-masked]>
---
 t/t5564-http-proxy.sh | 4 ++--
 1 file changed, 2 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/t/t5564-http-proxy.sh b/t/t5564-http-proxy.sh
index c3903faf2d..3bcbdef409 100755
--- a/t/t5564-http-proxy.sh
+++ b/t/t5564-http-proxy.sh
@@ -40,10 +40,10 @@ test_expect_success 'clone can prompt for proxy password' '
 
 start_socks() {
 	mkfifo socks_output &&
-	{
+	(
 		"$PERL_PATH" "$TEST_DIRECTORY/socks4-proxy.pl" "$1" >socks_output &
 		echo $! > "$TRASH_DIRECTORY/socks.pid"
-	} &&
+	) &&
 	read line <socks_output &&
 	test "$line" = ready
 }