Subject: [PATCH 2/4] docs: update index-pack hash algorithm for breaking changes mode

From: "brian m. carlson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2025 01:46:03 +0000

When compiled with WITH_BREAKING_CHANGES, the default hash algorithm
switches to SHA-256, but the documentation doesn't reflect this.  Update
the index-pack manual page to reflect the correct algorithm in this
case.

Be sure to conditionalize only full sentences to aid in localization.

Signed-off-by: brian m. carlson <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/git-index-pack.adoc | 14 +++++++++++---
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/git-index-pack.adoc b/Documentation/git-index-pack.adoc
index 18036953c0..8f05f5494d 100644
--- a/Documentation/git-index-pack.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/git-index-pack.adoc
@@ -125,9 +125,17 @@ information on the possible values of `<msg-id>` and `<severity>`.
 
 --object-format=<hash-algorithm>::
 	Specify the given object format (hash algorithm) for the pack.  The valid
-	values are 'sha1' and (if enabled) 'sha256'.  The default is the algorithm for
-	the current repository (set by `extensions.objectFormat`), or 'sha1' if no
-	value is set or outside a repository.
+	values are 'sha1' and (if enabled) 'sha256'.
+ifndef::with-breaking-changes[]
+	The default is the algorithm for the current repository (set by
+	`extensions.objectFormat`), or 'sha1' if no value is set or outside a
+	repository.
+endif::with-breaking-changes[]
+ifdef::with-breaking-changes[]
+	The default is the algorithm for the current repository (set by
+	`extensions.objectFormat`), or 'sha256' if no value is set or outside a
+	repository.
+endif::with-breaking-changes[]
 +
 This option cannot be used with --stdin.
 +