Subject: [PATCH] [RFC][GSoC 2026] builtin/repo: avoid global state in get_layout_bare

From: Ayush Jha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2026 20:50:02 +0530

The get_layout_bare() function accepts a struct repository *repo
argument but marks it UNUSED and instead relies on
is_bare_repository(), which depends on global state.

As bareness is a per-repository property, this causes the function
to always report the status of the global repository, even when a
specific repository instance is provided.

This change computes the bare status using the passed-in repository
instance (based on core.bare and the absence of a worktree),
thereby removing the dependency on global state.

This patch is sent as an RFC to solicit feedback on whether using
repository-local state here is the preferred approach.

Signed-off-by: Ayush Jha <[email-masked]>
---
 builtin/repo.c | 7 +++++--
 1 file changed, 5 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/builtin/repo.c b/builtin/repo.c
index 0ea045abc1..b2619cc77c 100644
--- a/builtin/repo.c
+++ b/builtin/repo.c
@@ -35,9 +35,12 @@ struct field {
 	get_value_fn *get_value;
 };
 
-static int get_layout_bare(struct repository *repo UNUSED, struct strbuf *buf)
+static int get_layout_bare(struct repository *repo, struct strbuf *buf)
 {
-	strbuf_addstr(buf, is_bare_repository() ? "true" : "false");
+	int is_bare_cfg = -1;
+	repo_config_get_bool(repo, "core.bare", &is_bare_cfg);
+
+	strbuf_addstr(buf, is_bare_cfg && !repo_get_work_tree(repo) ? "true" : "false");
 	return 0;
 }
 
-- 
2.53.0.windows.1