Subject: Re: git-am applies commit message diffs

From: Jakob Haufe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2026 18:45:08 +0100

On Fri, 06 Feb 2026 09:43:04 +0100
"Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Like Jacob said the cure is to use indentation for code blocks.

That doesn't help here as stated by Michael on GH and his Mastodon
post. Also, to make sure this doesn't get lost:

From patch(1):

---
If the entire diff is indented by a consistent amount, if lines end in CRLF,
or if a diff is encapsulated one or more times by prepending "- " to lines
starting with "-" as specified by Internet RFC 934, this is taken into account.
After removing indenting or encapsulation, lines beginning with # are ignored,
as they are considered to be comments.
---

It's not exactly written in a straightforward way, but it show that the
behavior from patch is intentional. So even if git-am gets a fix, it
only partly mitigates the problem as I'm pretty sure I will not be the
last one to pass "git show"/"git format-patch" to "patch".

Cheers,
sur5r

-- 
ceterum censeo microsoftem esse delendam.