Subject: Re: [RFC] Support UTF-8 characters in Git alias names

From: Jeff King <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2026 01:59:01 -0500

On Mon, Feb 09, 2026 at 05:04:18PM -0800, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> Ben Knoble <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > In what way do alias names end up being pathname components? Or
> > did you mean to insert « treated like » (as in, normalized as
> > command arguments)?
> 
> Ah, they don't.  I somehow was confusing those custom commands you
> would throw into your ~/bin as "git-something" ;-).
> 
> But you're correct to point out that for a command line "git
> something", "something" would go through the same "undo macOS NFD
> for all argv[] elements".

It's not an issue for aliases, but pager.* (and a hypothetical
pager.*.command) does care about the on-disk representation of program
names (and that it matches what is fed from the command-line).

-Peff